Holbrook’s was the highest-selling Worcestershire sauce in the world. It still holds the majority of the Worcestershire sauce market in Australia.
A vinegar brewery is established; the sauce and pickle market is entered
John Leslie Tompson (1841 – 1901) began to brew vinegar at Ashted Row, Birmingham, from 1868. Financial capital was provided by his father, John Tompson (born 1812) a wealthy maltster.
The English Midlands were rapidly displacing London as the centre of the British malting and brewing industry by the 1860s.
William Daniel Holbrook (born 1842) was appointed manager of the Manchester sales office from 1874. Tompson & Co began to manufacture pickles and sauces, such as Worcestershire, from 1875. Holbrook enjoyed a strong reputation in the trade, and the new products were branded under his name.
Frederic Carne Rasch (1847 – 1914) entered the business as an investor from 1875, with capital of £10,000.
A vinegar brewery was acquired in Stourport, Worcestershire in 1876.
John Tompson retired in 1878, and left the business in the control of John Leslie Tompson and Carne Rasch.
The business was converted into a limited liability company called the Birmingham Vinegar Brewery in 1879. It had a nominal capital of £100,000. John Leslie Tompson was appointed as managing director.
A considerable export trade to Australia had been developed by the 1880s.
Private correspondence reveals that Carne Rasch later came to regard J L Tompson as a swindler. Tompson was declared bankrupt in 1884, following a series of unfortunate personal investments.
The business assumes large proportions
Ten million bottles of Holbrook’s Worcestershire sauce were sold in 1888. Advertising claimed that sales were high because, “it is the best and cheapest”. It sold for around half the price of the Lea & Perrins product.
Three giant wooden vats, each capable of holding 140,000 gallons of vinegar, were installed at Stourport in the 1890s. It was claimed that they were the largest vats in the world.
The Birmingham Vinegar Brewery had a capital of £150,000 by 1897. It was the second largest vinegar manufacturer in the world.
An American subsidiary was established with a share capital of £100,000 in 1898.
Holbrook’s was the highest-selling Worcestershire sauce in the world by 1898, due to its strong export market and low price. Over 5.5 million bottles were sold every year. It was the leading brand of Worcestershire sauce in South Africa and Australasia.
The name of the company was changed to Holbrooks Limited from 1900. Worcestershire sauce was by far their most important product, although they also produced vinegar and pickles.
John Leslie Tompson died due to an accidental overdose of sleeping pills in 1901.
Holbrooks was the largest brewer of vinegar in the United Kingdom in 1906.
Holbrooks had an authorised capital of £170,000 in 1913. The company had 600 employees in 1914.
Holbrooks established a factory in Sydney, Australia in 1920. Sited on three acres, it was the largest Worcestershire sauce factory in the British Empire. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of Worcestershire sauce were stored for maturation at any one time. Several hundred workers were permanently employed. The site included its own vinegar brewery and glass bottle factory.
Holbrooks claimed that it took three years to produce their Worcestershire sauce.
The Stourport vinegar brewery was reputed to be one of the most modern in the world, with some of the largest vats in Britain, in 1936.
Reduced profitability and sale of the business
The home market operations were loss-making by 1939, but the profitability of the overseas businesses enabled Holbrooks to survive.
The Birmingham factory suffered significant bomb damage during the Second World War.
In 1943-4 the Birmingham and Stourport factories achieved record sales. The Australian site also performed strongly.
British sales grew in the post-war period. However the South African market suddenly closed in 1948, and two million bottles of Worcestershire sauce had to be redirected to the home market.
A total of over 300 million bottles of Holbrook’s Worcestershire Sauce had been sold over the years by 1951. It’s 27 ingredients included brandy and sherry, and it was cold-brewed over a five year process.
The Birmingham factory was subject to compulsory purchase by the Birmingham Corporation in 1954, and the site was subject to redevelopment. Production was relocated to London.
The Stourport brewery produced three million gallons of vinegar a year by 1954.
A cash-flow shortage forced Holbrooks to sell its loss-making UK business to British Vinegars (a joint venture between Crosse & Blackwell and Distillers) for £171,000 in 1954. Under the name of Sauce Holdings, Limited, Holbrooks would continue to operate its profitable Australian and South African subsidiaries independently.
Reckitt & Colman acquired the Australian and South African subsidiaries of Holbrooks for £422,000 in 1955. The deal also included the rights to the brand outside of the UK and Europe.
Reckitt & Colman extended and improved the Australian factory in 1957.
Goodman Fielder acquired the Holbrooks business from Reckitt & Colman in 1998.
The Stourport brewery, which latterly had been producing Sarson’s vinegar, was closed in 2005.
The Holbrooks brand is no longer in use in Britain, but the trademarks are owned by Premier Foods.
The brand is still going strong in Australia, and remains available in South Africa.