United Biscuits produces McVitie’s Digestives, Jaffa Cakes, Jacob’s cream crackers and Carr’s water biscuits.
James Lang established a bakery business at Gallowgate, Glasgow in 1817.
The firm became Macfarlane Lang in 1841 when Lang’s nephew, John Macfarlane, joined the business. An energetic and progressive manager, Macfarlane eventually assumed control of the business.
John’s son, James Macfarlane (1857 – 1944), joined Macfarlane Lang & Co in 1878. He was joined by his two brothers, George William and John Lang Macfarlane.
A large new factory, the Victoria Works, was established in Glasgow in 1880.
Originally bread bakers, the firm began to manufacture biscuits from 1885.
The firm became a limited liability company from 1904, but essentially remained a family business. James Macfarlane became chairman in 1908.
John Lang Macfarlane died in 1912 with a personal estate valued at £284,563.
Macfarlane Lang was one of the largest manufacturers of biscuits in Britain by 1914. A factory in Glasgow covered four acres, and a West London factory covered five acres, employing a total of 2,500 workers. Success was based upon high quality which stemmed from experienced management, skilled labour and strong investment in machinery.
George William Macfarlane, deputy chairman of Macfarlane Lang, died in 1938 with a personal estate valued at £415,479.
Sir James Macfarlane died in 1944, and left a personal estate of £172,180.
McVitie & Price
Robert McVitie (1809 – 1883) was advertising himself as a baker and confectioner in Edinburgh by 1856. He was a master baker employing six men, four boys and three women by 1871.
The firm was inherited by his son, Robert McVitie (1845 – 1910) in 1883. Charles Edward Price (died 1934), a former salesman for Cadbury, joined him in partnership in 1888 to form McVitie & Price.
McVitie & Price began to produce their version of the digestive biscuit from 1892. The firm did not invent the digestive, but it is generally agreed that they did produce an improved version. By 1908 their digestive biscuit was supplied to the Royal Household and the Houses of Parliament.
McVitie & Price established a factory at Harlesden, London in 1901. Price retired in 1901, and Alexander Grant (1864 – 1937) was appointed general manager.
Robert McVitie died in 1910 with personal estate valued at £227,454. He died childless, and Alexander Grant became chairman and managing director of McVitie & Price.
McVitie & Price introduced the Jaffa Cake in 1927.
By 1936 McVitie & Price was one of the largest biscuit manufacturing firms in the world, with nearly 2,000 people employed at Harlesden, and more employed at factories in Edinburgh and Manchester.
The number of product lines at McVitie & Price had been reduced from 370 to ten by 1945.
Robert McVitie Grant (1894 – 1947), chairman of McVitie & Price, died in 1947 with a personal estate valued at £1,033,234.
That same year, Hector Laing (1923 -2010) joined the firm.
McVitie & Price and Macfarlane Lang merged in 1948 to form United Biscuits, with a capital of £3.5 million. The businesses continued to trade under their respective names.