The Consett Iron Company was the largest steel manufacturer in the world.
The Derwent Iron Works were established Consett, County Durham, in 1840. The works were the largest in England by 1860, with eleven blast furnaces on a site of over 70 acres and a workforce of nearly 4,000 men and boys.
Despite its scale, the company was notoriously unprofitable. When the Northumberland and Durham District Bank failed, the Derwent Iron Works owed the bank £960,000.
The works were acquired by the newly-formed Consett Iron Company for £295,318 in 1864. Capital was £400,000. The company was controlled by John Henderson (1807 – 1884), and two Quakers, Joseph Whitwell Pease (1828 – 1903) and David Dale (1829 – 1906). The company had 18 blast furnaces, only seven of which were in use.
The Consett Iron Co employed 4,000 to 5,000 men in 1865.
William Jenkins (1825 – 1895), a Welshman, was appointed general manager from 1869, having previously managed the works of John Guest. Jenkins was largely credited with the turnaround of the Consett works.
A political Liberal, and a staunch churchgoer, Jenkins was a humane and kind man, and generally retained his workforce, even during slack trading periods. He had a keen commercial mind and was a strong judge of character.
45,038 tons of iron were produced in 1869. Company share capital amounted to £352,732.
The Consett Iron Co operated the largest iron plate works in the world by 1875. The company employed 5,000 people by 1878.
The Consett Iron Co manufactured 1,600 tons of iron plate every week by 1880. 132,085 tons of iron and steel were produced in 1890, and the company had a share capital of £736,000.
The Consett Iron Co was the largest steel manufacturer in the world by 1894. The company was remarkably profitable, a testament to its strong management.
The Consett Iron Co had a share capital of £3.5 million in 1922.
The Consett Iron Co established a steelworks at Jarrow, Tyneside from 1940.
The company’s seven collieries were nationalised in 1947.
The Consett Iron Co had an authorised capital of £19 million in 1955. 6,300 people were employed at the Consett and Jarrow sites.
The Consett Iron Co employed 7,337 people in 1965.
The Consett Iron Co was nationalised in 1967 and became a part of British Steel.
The Consett steel works were closed due to overcapacity in the industry in 1980. Almost 4,000 jobs were lost.