Peek Frean pioneered the modern British biscuit. The business introduced the Bourbon, Custard Cream, Marie and Garibaldi biscuit varieties.
Peek Frean pioneer the modern biscuit
James Peek (1800 – 1879) was a wealthy tea merchant from Devon. He established a biscuit factory at Mill Street, Dockhead, Bermondsey from 1857.
George Hender Frean (1824 – 1903), was a Baptist miller from Plymouth. A relation by marriage, he was invited to become managing partner.
Initially ship’s biscuits were produced with a staff of eight.
Peek Frean acquired a licence from Dr John Dauglish (1824 – 1866), the inventor of bread aerated without yeast, to manufacture his product from 1859. Aerated bread could be produced more quickly than regular bread, and was believed to be more hygienic. However Peek Frean struggled to make a profit from the invention, and production ended in 1861.
John Carr (1824 – 1912), a Quaker who had learned the biscuit-making trade with his brother, Jonathan Dodgson Carr (1806 – 1884), joined the business as partner from 1860.
Around 200 men and boys were employed by 1860.
Peek Frean introduced the Garibaldi biscuit from 1861.
The Pearl biscuit, introduced from 1865, helped to establish the reputation of the business. Small, round and sweet, it was softer than any previously mass produced British biscuit. It dispensed with the “docker holes” used to prevent biscuits rising in the oven, and was the pioneer of the modern biscuit.
Product exports had commenced by 1866.
About 700 people were employed at Peek Frean by 1866. The founders were all religious non-conformists, and this background informed a paternalistic attitude towards their workforce. Medical care was provided for sick employees.
James Peek divested his stake in Peek Frean to his son-in-law, Thomas Stone (1827 – 1893), a silk manufacturer, in 1866.
Peek Frean becomes the largest biscuit manufacturer in Europe
With no further space for expansion at Mill Street, a new factory was opened on Drummond Road, Bermondsey from 1867. The site had previously been occupied by market gardens and open fields.
The French government placed an order for 60 million Peek Frean ship biscuits, totalling nearly 4,500 tons, following the end of the Siege of Paris in 1871.
Arthur Carr (1855 – 1947), son of John Carr, joined Peek Frean as an apprentice in 1872.
Peek Frean employed 900 people by 1872.
The Marie biscuit was introduced from 1875. It was named after the Grand Duchess Maria of Russia, who had married the Duke of Edinburgh in 1874. The product was to prove successful, and Marie biscuits are now sold across the world by various manufacturers, with particular popularity in Spain.
A fire destroyed the Dockhead premises in 1876.
Peek Frean employed 1,000 to 1,500 people by 1876.
Arthur Carr was made a partner from 1877.
Peek Frean became the first business in London to be supplied with electricity from 1880.
After much quarrelling with Thomas Stone, Frean entered into retirement from 1887. Stone was joined in partnership by his two sons, Huntington Stone (1857 – 1916) and Ralph Erskine Stone (1861 – 1897).
Peek Frean workers joined the London Dock strike in 1889.
Depots were established across Britain from around 1890.
Thomas Stone died in 1893 with a personal estate valued at £340,000. R S Stone died in 1897 with an estate valued at £228,944.
By 1899 the partners were John Carr, Ellis Carr (1852 – 1930), Arthur Carr and Huntington Stone.
The firm held a Royal Warrant to supply biscuits to the Prince of Wales by 1900.
You can read Part II of this history here.