Andrews Liver Salts became the highest-selling antacid product in the world.
William Henry Scott (1860 – 1922) and William Murdoch Turner (1862 – 1932) were proprietors of a successful margarine wholesale business based at Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne in the North East of England.
W H Scott was a prominent Wesleyan Methodist. He was a well-liked man, and was held in a high regard by his workforce.
Scott & Turner began to manufacture Andrews Liver Salts, an antacid and stomach reliever, from 1895. The product was named after their office, located at St Andrew’s Buildings.
W M Turner entered into retirement from 1907. Andrews Liver Salts had an annual sale of over two million tins by this time.
Sales of Andrews Liver Salts continued to grow, and the Gallowgate works were repeatedly expanded to accommodate increased production.
Scott & Turner advertised Andrews Liver Salts as the highest-selling antacid in the United Kingdom by 1922. Around 300 people were employed by this time.
W H Scott continued to act as chairman of Scott & Turner until his death in 1922. The following year the business was acquired by Sterling Drug of the United States.
Andrews Liver Salts were introduced to the Canadian market from 1924.
Andrews Liver Salts were advertised as the highest-selling antacid in the world from 1926.
Staff hours were reduced to five days a week, with no reduction in pay from 1935. A total of 350 to 450 people were employed.
There were around 500 employees by 1944.
A new factory at Fawdon, Newcastle was opened in 1949 in order to meet rapidly growing demand overseas for Liver Salts. 27 percent of Liver Salt production was exported. The Gallowgate site was divested.
Export sales of Liver Salts ran at about £1 million a year by 1952.
Scott & Turner rebuilt the Fawdon site in 1956. The new factory was thoroughly modern, with utmost standards of cleanliness and high levels of automation.
Sterling Drug merged Scott & Turner with another subsidiary, Charles H Phillips Chemical Co, manufacturers of Milk of Magnesia, to form Phillips, Scott & Turner in 1960. The head office was at Acton Vale, London, and the northern sales office was based in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Andrews was the clear market leader in stomach remedies in the UK as late as 1978.
Andrews Liver Salts contained sodium bicarbonate, citric acid and magnesium sulphate as of 1993.
Sterling Healthcare was acquired by SmithKline Beecham in 1994.
About 700 people were employed at the Fawdon plant in 1994.
SmithKline Beecham merged with GlaxoWellcome in 2000 to form GlaxoSmithKline.
Andrews Liver Salts was the fourth highest-selling indigestion remedy in the UK in 2011, behind Gaviscon, Rennie and Remegel.
The Fawdon site was closed in 2015.
Andrews Liver Salts are still sold in the UK as of 2020, and are manufactured in Spain.