Tag Archives: history of Harveys sauce

A fishy tale: E Lazenby & Sons

Lazenby’s was one of the largest sauce manufacturers in Britain. Their flagship Harvey’s fish sauce was a popular condiment in Victorian homes.

Peter Harvey (1749 – 1812) was a chef to the Duke of Bolton (1720 – 1794). He had left to become the landlord of the Red Lion in Bagshot, a large posthouse with stabling for fifty horses, by 1793.* From 1798 he relocated to the Black Dog Inn at Bedfont, Middlesex, situated on the Great Western Road, a major route from London. The Black Dog functioned as a posthouse, and as the halfway house between London and Bagshot.

Harvey gained a reputation as a culinary perfectionist. His cuisine gained a keen following among the aristocracy, including the Prince of Wales. Foremost among his creations was a thin, anchovy-based sauce. He gifted the recipe to his sister Elizabeth Lazenby in 1793. She and her husband John began its wholesale manufacture at 6 Edward Street (renamed Wigmore Street from 1869), Portman Square, London.

“Harvey’s Sauce” soon became well-known throughout London. Elizabeth Lazenby claimed nationwide distribution for her product by 1807. Its success was such that it inspired numerous counterfeit productions. Peter Harvey signed every bottle to confer authenticity from 1805. Following the death of Harvey in 1812, Elizabeth began to sign the bottles herself.

The sauce became embedded in contemporary culture. Lord Byron referred to Harvey’s Sauce in his poem Beppo (1817). Later, Thackeray, Dickens and Edith Wharton would also reference it in their works.

The business was eventually passed to Henry (1784 – 1851) and Edward Frederick Lazenby (1790 – 1830), sons of Elizabeth. who continued to pay their mother an annuity of £300. Henry Lazenby took full control of the business from 1818.

Control of the company had passed to Elizabeth’s grandson, William Howard Harvey Lazenby (1808 – 1875), by 1848.

The business employed around 25 people in the 1850s, rising to 35 men in 1861. That year a factory was opened at Trinity Street, Borough.

William had retired by 1871, and control of the company passed to his son Walter (1835 – 1910). William’s will in 1875 was valued at £50,000 (£5.2 million in 2015).

Walter Lazenby was to greatly expand the business. He built a large new factory in Bermondsey. He expanded the product range to include a variety of pickles and sauces. Products wsre exported across the world, with South Africa and Canada the principal foreign markets.

E Lazenby & Sons was registered as a limited company with an authorised capital of £300,000 in 1895. The company lost the rights to the “Harvey’s Sauce” name, and the product was rebranded as “Lazenby’s Sauce” from 1900 onwards.

By the time Walter Lazenby died in 1910 he had had built the company into one of the largest sauce manufacturers in Britain, with over 600 employees and a worldwide reputation. The Aberdeen Journal described the company’s fish sauce recipe as a “gold mine”, and Lazenby left £380,000 in his will (£35 million in 2015).

Charles Lazenby (1863 – 1929) was appointed chairman of the company following the death of his father.

E Lazenby & Sons employed 800 people and had contracts to supply the Army, the Navy, and forces in India by 1914.

E Lazenby & Son was acquired by Crosse & Blackwell, a large manufacturer of preserved foods, in 1919. Charles Lazenby was appointed to the Crosse & Blackwell board as one of ten directors. The takeover facilitated greater distribution of Lazenby products.

The company left the original Wigmore Street premises in 1922. The Trinity Street factory was closed in 1926 and production was transferred to Bermondsey.

Charles Lazenby died in 1929 with a gross estate valued at £283,278.

Nestle acquired Crosse & Blackwell in 1960. E Lazenby branded foodstuffs continued in Britain until at least the late 1960s, but production may have ended with the closure of the Bermondsey factory in 1969.

In the 21st century Nestle sold off their C&B operations, and the (unused) rights to the E Lazenby name were acquired by Premier Foods. Nestle retains the rights to the Lazenby name in South Africa, where it remains a popular Worcestershire sauce brand.

Notes

  • As an interesting note, the Red Lion at Bagshot played host to a reconciliation between Pitt the Elder (1708 – 1778), Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, and John Wilkes (1725 – 1797) following a duel between the two men that ended in both their guns misfiring.