Fox’s Biscuits employs over 3,000 people. An extensive own-label producer, it is best known for the Rocky and Party Rings biscuits.
Michael Spedding (1834 – 1927) was born into humble beginnings at Marsh, Huddersfield in Yorkshire. He received just three months of schooling, as well as some Sunday school teaching.
By the age of 13 he was working at a cotton mill in Meltham. With encouragement from his grandfather he walked to Batley to find work. He was poor, and would sometimes spend nights in barns.
Spedding married Susan Fox (1834 – 1895), the daughter of a bone setter, in 1854.
Spedding established himself as a food seller from 1863. Eventually he began to concentrate on the confectionery trade, with a focus on brandy snap biscuits.
Spedding took over the bone setting business of his father in law in 1877.
Spedding had been joined in business by his daughter Hannah and his son in law Fred Ellis Fox (1871 – 1938) by 1891.
The firm began to trade as F E Fox & Co from 1897, and Spedding retired in 1900. Brandy snaps continued to be the major product.
F E Fox was joined by his son, Michael Spedding Fox (1896 – 1963), and the firm began to trade as F E Fox & Son.
F E Fox & Son relocated to a new site at Batley in 1927.
Michael Spedding died in 1927 as one of the oldest men in his district.
F E Fox & Son was incorporated as a private company in 1938.
F E Fox died in 1938 and left an estate valued at £19,243. Michael Spedding Fox became managing director of the company.
F E Fox & Son Ltd had around 500 employees by 1955.
F E Fox & Son won a valuable contract to produce biscuits for Marks & Spencer in 1958. The contract accounted for half of all production.
F E Fox & Son required capital to fulfil its ambitions of becoming a nationally recognised company. The firm went public in 1960 as Fox’s Biscuits with an authorised share capital of £400,000. There were around 950 employees.
Parkinson’s Biscuits of Kirkham, Preston was acquired in 1966.
J Lyons & Co held a 25 percent stake in the company by 1974.
Fox’s Biscuits was acquired by Northern Foods in 1977. Following the merger of their interests, Northern Foods supplied Marks & Spencer with around 40 percent of its cake and biscuits.
Alfred Henry Fox died in 1977 with an estate valued at £124,375.
Fox’s Biscuits had emerged as one of the strongest brands at Northern Foods by the 1980s.
Fox’s Biscuits employed over 2,000 people by 1986.
Elkes Biscuits of Uttoxeter was acquired in 1987.
Fox’s Biscuits was best known for its Rocky and Party Rings biscuits by the 1990s.
Northern Foods was acquired by 2 Sisters Food Group in 2011.
The non-core Fox’s Biscuits business was identified as a potential divestment for 2 Sisters in 2016, with an estimated sale price of £250 million.
There are three Fox’s Biscuits factories as of 2017, located at Uttoxeter, Batley and Kirkham near Preston. The division employs over 3,000 people. The company has a large contract and own-label business, producing Farley’s Rusks for Heinz, for example.
In 2017 reports emerged that Fox’s might be merged with Burton Foods.
Crawford’s biscuits survives as the economy sister brand to McVitie’s.
Ships biscuits were first produced at 31 Shore, a public house in Leith, Edinburgh, from 1813. Mr Mathie took over the business from 1817.
William Crawford (born 1818) succeeded Mr Mathie as a manufacturer of ships biscuits at 31 Shore in 1856.
Crawford was a master baker employing six men and one boy by 1861. He employed five men and one boy in 1871.
Crawford established a custom-built factory at Elbe Street, Leith in 1879.
William Crawford sent two of his sons, Archibald Inglis Crawford (1869 – 1940) and James Crawford to establish a subsidiary in Australia in 1897. Having booked their voyage from Liverpool, they reconsidered emigration after sensing opportunity, and instead established the Fairfield Works in the city.
William Crawford & Sons of Leith was registered in 1906 as a limited liability company with a capital of £251,000. The Crawford family controlled the company.
William Crawford & Sons employed hundreds of people at its factories at Leith and Liverpool by 1923. By this time the company claimed to be “the oldest of the biscuit manufacturers”.
Company capital was increased to £700,000 in 1924.
William Crawford (1858 – 1926) died in 1926 with an estate valued at £876,211. It was due to his efforts that the company grew to a national scale. He was of a retiring disposition.
Kenneth Crawford (1906 – 1936) died tragically in an air crash in 1936. His estate was valued at £155,922.
Archibald Inglis Crawford (1870 – 1940) died in 1940. He left an estate valued at £1,015,886.
Douglas Inglis Crawford (born 1905) was company chairman by 1956. The privately-owned company was still largely in Crawford family hands.
William Crawford & Sons was acquired by United Biscuits for £6.25 million in 1962.
United Biscuits closed the Leith factory in 1970, with the loss of 703 jobs. Meanwhile production at Liverpool was increased by 50 percent, following an investment of £2 million.
The McVitie’s, Crawford and Macfarlane sales teams were merged in the 1970s.
3,000 people were employed at the Crawfords factory in Liverpool in 1976. It was the oldest and largest of all United Biscuits factories. It was also the most progressive in terms of employee relations.
United Biscuits wound down manufacturing operations at Liverpool between 1984 and 1987. 934 full time and over 1,000 part time jobs were lost. Some administrative functions are maintained at the site.
D S Crawford, the Scottish bakery chain subsidiary , was subject to a management buy out in 1990.
The Crawford name was repositioned as an economy brand from 2014. The Crawford’s Family Circle was rebranded under the McVitie’s name.
United Biscuits produces McVitie’s Digestives, Jaffa Cakes, Jacob’s cream crackers and Carr’s water biscuits.
Two Scottish biscuit manufacturers, McVitie & Price and Macfarlane Lang merged in 1948 to form United Biscuits, with a capital of £3.5 million. The businesses continued to trade under their respective names.
The Harlesden, North London, facility became the first fully-automated biscuit factory in the world in 1948, increasing output by 1000 percent.
McVitie & Price produced around 450 different products in 1939. This had been streamlined to about twelve major lines, with corresponding cost efficiencies, by 1959.
United Biscuits held nearly 70 percent of the digestive biscuit market by 1959. It was also a leader in the sale of Rich Tea biscuits.
United Biscuits was the largest biscuit manufacturer in Britain by 1962.
William Crawford & Sons, the largest privately-owned biscuit manufacturer in the United Kingdom, was acquired in 1962 in a mostly share-based transaction which valued the company at £5.9 million.
United Biscuits increased its capital from £9 million to £13 million in 1963. Hector Laing (1923 -2010) became managing director of United Biscuits in 1964.
United Biscuits entered the packaged cake market in 1964. The company had taken a 14 percent share of the market by 1968, winning market share from J Lyons.
William Macdonald & Sons of Glasgow was acquired in 1965 for £2.8 million in cash and shares. The firm had introduced the Penguin chocolate-coated biscuit in 1932. It was experiencing strong growth, and held almost 20 percent of British chocolate biscuit exports.
The United Biscuits subsidiaries were absorbed into a single operating company in 1965. The company announced plans to close four of its nine factories, and to greatly increase production at Glasgow and Liverpool in 1966.
The McVitie & Price factory in Edinburgh was closed in 1967 with the loss of 541 jobs. The Macdonald factory at North Cardonald, Glasgow was closed with the loss of 497 jobs. The Crawford factory in Leith was closed in 1970 with the loss of 703 jobs, and the Macdonald factory at Hillington, Glasgow was closed with the loss of 497 jobs. The factories that were closed had no room for expansion, and it made economic sense to rationalise production at a smaller number of larger sites.
The Macfarlane Lang factory at Tollcross, Glasgow was doubled in size at a cost of £2.3 million in 1969. The labour force was increased from 250 to 1,350. The factory would supply the Scotland, Northern Ireland and North of England markets.
The Crawford factory at Liverpool increased capacity by 50 percent following a £2 million investment in the 1970.
Sales of the McVitie’s brand doubled between 1962 and 1967, and McVitie’s had by far the most brand recognition in its category. The McVitie’s Chocolate Home Wheat (a chocolate digestive) was its highest seller.
Meredith & Drew was acquired in 1967. Following the acquisition, United Biscuits produced over one third of all biscuits consumed in Britain.
Kenyon, Son & Craven, with the KP salted peanuts brand, was acquired in 1968 in a share exchange which valued the private company at £3.5 million.
United Biscuits was the largest biscuit manufacturing company in Europe by 1969.
Hector Laing became company chairman in 1972. That year, the firm took over the biscuit interests of Cavenham, which included Carr’s of Carlisle and Wright’s of South Shields.
The South Shields factory was closed in 1973 with the loss of 823 jobs.
A total of four factories and four offices were closed in the early 1970s in a spate of rationalisation. The McVitie, Crawford and Macfarlane sales teams were merged in the early 1970s.
United Biscuits acquired Keebler, the second largest US biscuit manufacturer, in 1974.
United Biscuits employed 36,000 people in 1976. Its products were sold in 92 countries. The company controlled 41.6 percent of the British biscuit market, and boasted eight out of the ten highest selling products.
Not every venture was a success however, and United Biscuits was prepared to admit defeat when appropriate; in 1977 the company withdrew from the packaged cakes market.
By 1978 United Biscuits sold 75 million biscuits every day.
In 1980 it was announced that the former Macfarlane Lang factory at Osterley, West London would be closed with the loss of 2,000 jobs.
The Hobnob biscuit was introduced in 1985.
In an admission of defeat in the American snacks market, Keebler was divested for $500 million in 1995.
United Biscuits employed 22,500 people in 22 countries in 1999.
Jacob’s, a Liverpool biscuit manufacturer, was acquired from Danone of France for £200 million in 2004.
United Biscuits was acquired by private equity firms Blackstone and PAI Partners for £1.6 billion in 2006.
In 2012 the snacks division of United Biscuits, including Hula Hoops crisps and KP nuts, was sold to Intersnack of Germany, manufacturer of Pom-Bear crisps and Penn State pretzels, for £504 million.
In 2013 United Biscuits was sold to Yildiz Holding of Istanbul for over £2 billion to create the third largest biscuit manufacturer in the world, behind Mondelez and Kellogg.
From 2014 United Biscuits rebranded all of its sweet biscuits under the McVitie’s name, and all of its savoury biscuits under the Jacob’s name. McVitie’s gained the Club, Fig Rolls, BN and Iced Gems products from Jacob’s, whilst Jacob’s gained the Cheddars snacks products. The Crawford’s name was repositioned as a value brand, and products such as Family Circle were rebranded as McVitie’s.
As of 2017 the Harlesden site is the largest biscuit factory in Europe. The facility employs 580 workers. 22 different lines are produced, including Digestives, Hob Nobs and Mini Cheddars.
This article continues from Part I. Part II chronicles the decline of Huntley & Palmer.
George Palmer (1818 – 1897), the driving force behind the firm, died in 1897 and the following year Huntley & Palmer was registered as a private limited company. The company had 4,000 employees in 1899.
Huntley & Palmer was the 38th largest British industrial company in 1905, with a capital of £2.4 million (c. £255 million in 2014). It had 6,500 employees.
Huntley & Palmer introduced the coconut-flavoured NICE biscuit in 1904. Iced gems were introduced in 1910. The company pioneered the manufacture of cakes for grocers shops.
Huntley & Palmer, as late as 1910, largely eschewed advertising.
By 1911 the company had a regular staff of 7,000, not counting the additional workers taken on during peak times. That year, Huntley & Palmer was accused of dismissing without notice workers who were affiliated with trade unions, although company officials denied the accusation.
By 1914 almost half of production was exported, 50 percent of which was destined for the Far East and Africa.
The company supplied the British army with hard tack biscuits during the First World War.
The export trade was slow to rebuild after the First World War; in 1924 only 25 percent of output was exported. Meanwhile, domestic sales declined as H&P failed to introduce new products or update existing ones. Marketing was poor, with inadequate advertising, fewer salesman than other firms and no depots outside Reading.
It has been argued that Huntley & Palmer had too many product lines to produce efficiently, and that the Palmer family paid themselves overly generous dividends and salaries, funds which might otherwise have been reinvested into the business.
By 1920 Huntley & Palmer operated 24 acres of factories across 36 acres of floorspace. 90 percent of the thousands of tons of flour used annually was grown and milled in the area around Reading. The Osborne (similar to a digestive) was their most popular biscuit, followed by the Marie (rich tea) and the Ginger Nut.
High income tax and death duties persuaded H&P to merge with Peek Frean of London, under a holding company called Associated Biscuit Manufacturers, in 1921. Individual production and marketing strategies were maintained by the two companies.
By neglecting the commodity category of the biscuit market, ABM’s domestic market share had declined to 15 percent.
William Howard Palmer died in 1923 with an estate valued at £536,794.
In 1923 a factory was opened near Paris. At the time it was decried in Britain as the transfer of jobs overseas.
In 1924, 80 percent of the 6,000 strong workforce at the Reading factory went on strike. The dispute, regarding worker efficiency, was settled within three days. Huntley & Palmer agreed to recognise the worker’s union.
By 1927 Peek Frean turnover and profits had exceeded those of Huntley & Palmer. Peek Frean installed automated biscuit plants in the early 1930s, but H&P did not do so until 1938.
In 1935 ABM employed 7,245 people.
Two large rivals emerged: by 1938 the value biscuit manufacturer George Weston Ltd had established production volumes that equalled ABM. In 1948 the Scottish firms McVitie & Price and MacFarlane Lang merged to form United Biscuits, with 3,350 employees.
In 1949 factories were opened in Canada, the United States and Australia. In 1954 the Peek Frean factory employed 3,700 and the Huntley & Palmer factory employed 3,000. A new factory was opened in Huyton, Liverpool in 1955.
The Cornish Wafer was H&P’s highest selling biscuit by 1954. Associated Biscuits concentrated on cream, savoury and assorted biscuits. Around 15 to 20 percent of production was exported in 1959.
Jacob’s, the third largest biscuit manufacturer in Britain, was acquired by ABM in 1960. ABM was reorganised as Associated Biscuits in 1969. In 1972 AB employed 9,856 people. From 1972 the company dedicated the vast majority of its advertising spend on the Jacob’s brand. One third of sales came from overseas, with factories in Australia, Canada and India.
Associated Biscuits had an 18 percent share of the British biscuit market by 1976. It was behind United Biscuits with 40 percent. The Reading factory was closed that year, and production was relocated to Liverpool.
In 1982 Associated Biscuits employed over 14,000 people in Britain, and 3,100 overseas.
Nabisco, the American manufacturer of Shredded Wheat and Ritz crackers, acquired Associated Biscuits in 1982. Nabisco was interested in the Huntley & Palmer brand, as well as its worldwide distribution network, particularly in Singapore, Canada, France and Germany.
The Huyton factory was closed in 1984 with the loss of 770 jobs, and production was relocated to Aintree, Liverpool.
Huntley & Palmer was positioned as the Associated Biscuits premium sweet biscuit brand. However by 1988 it counted for just five percent of company production by weight.
Nabisco did not successfully manage their British biscuit operations. Their market share in biscuits declined to 11.7 percent by 1988, and they were forced to reverse their decision to discontinue production of Bath Oliver biscuits following popular protest.
The Peek Frean factory at Bermondsey was closed in 1989 with the loss of 1,022 jobs. The site was closed due to high overheads and traffic congestion. Production was transferred to Aintree and Leicestershire.
Associated Biscuits was acquired by BSN of France in 1989.
The Huntley & Palmer brand was phased out in favour of the Jacob’s name in 1990. It made sense to concentrate resources behind a single brand, and the Jacob’s name was better known, and believed to have a more contemporary image than the Huntley & Palmer brand. Huntley & Palmer products subjected to a re-branding included Romany and Crumbles.
The head office was relocated from Reading to Liverpool in 1996.
BSN (now called Danone) sold its UK and Irish biscuit operations to United Biscuits for £200 million in 2004.
Former Huntley & Palmer products such as Lemon Puffs and Cornish Wafers are still sold under the Jacob’s brand, and Thin Arrowroots under the McVitie’s name.
Carr’s are best known for their Table Water biscuits.
Jonathan Dodgson Carr (1806 – 1884) was the son of a Quaker grocer from Kendal. He served an apprenticeship to a baker. Carr commenced business as a miller and baker on Castle Street, Carlisle in the North West of England in 1831.
Carr began to sell biscuits in tins in order to preserve their freshness. He was the first person to use steam-powered machinery to manufacture biscuits. Sales grew and in 1834 Carr had to relocate to a factory on Caldewgate, Carlisle.
Carr was a gentle, kind and modest man. An enlightened employer, by 1841 Carr had established a library for his workforce.
With assistance from Philip Henry Howard (1801 – 1883), the Member of Parliament for Carlisle, Carr was appointed biscuit maker to Queen Victoria in 1841. He was at this point the sole manufacturer of machine-made biscuits in the United Kingdom. At this stage only four varieties of biscuit were produced.
The Royal Warrant was to prove a boon to sales, and 400 tons of biscuits were produced in 1846, with a staff of 90.
After the death of J D Carr in 1884, he was formally succeeded by his three sons, Henry (1834 -1904), James (1838 – 1901) and Thomas. As the eldest, Henry Carr was the chairman.
A deeply spiritual man, Henry Carr had a greater inclination towards religion than business. However, he was determined to show that he was worthy of the legacy left him by his father. He ventured upon an ambitious expansion of the biscuit factory, almost doubling its productive capacity by 1891.
Just under 1,000 people were employed by 1891. Nearly 300 different varieties of biscuit were produced. 18,000 Derby biscuits could be produced in one hour. 200,000 Midget biscuits could be cut in an hour.
Unfortunately, funds soon ran short, and the firm’s bank forced the firm to make a public offering of shares in 1894.
Henry was succeeded by Theodore (1866 – 1931), the son of Thomas Carr, following his death in 1904.
Theodore Carr was a hands-on employer. In 1890 he had developed the company’s signature product, the Table Water biscuit, as a variant of the Captain’s Thin, a Victorian staple which was itself derived from the ship biscuit. The Table Water biscuit was thinner and crisper than any biscuit before it, and was particularly suited to cheese.
Carr realised that the company was heavily indebted due to the unprofitable flour milling division. The flour milling division was divested as Carr’s Flour Mills in 1908.
By 1926 Carr & Co employed 3,000 people in Carlisle. In 1927 the company had a capital of £600,000.
Theodore Carr died in 1931, and he was succeeded by his brother, Harold Carr (1880 – 1937).
Carr & Co granted its workers a five day working week from 1934, and reduced hours from 47 to 45 with no reduction in pay.
Carr & Co was one of the largest biscuit manufacturers in Britain by 1939, producing 14,500 tons a year.
Carr & Co was a mid-sized British biscuit producer by 1960, and it could feel itself under increasing pressure to compete with the larger producers.
Carr & Co was acquired by Cavenham, controlled by James Goldsmith (1933 – 1997) in 1964, beating a £1.175 million bid by J Lyons.
Goldsmith sold the freehold of the Carlisle factory for £600,000, and leased it back for £63,000 a year.
According to Ian Carr, one of the company directors, it was Goldsmith’s ambition at the time to build a biscuit empire by acquiring Associated Biscuits. This never transpired however, and Carr & Co was sold to United Biscuits in 1972.
The Carlisle factory escaped closure, in part, due to its excellent labour relations, which were in themselves a valuable asset.
As of 2016 the Carlisle factory employs over 600 people, and produces McVitie’s products such as the Gold bar, as well as Carr’s Water Biscuits.
Jacob’s are best known for Cream Crackers. 1.4 billion were consumed in 2013.
W&R Jacob was founded by two Quaker brothers, William and Robert, in Waterford, Ireland in 1851. Shortly afterwards the firm relocated to Peter’s Row, Dublin. In 1885 the firm introduced the cream cracker.
In 1912 W&R Jacob acquired ten acres of land at Aintree adjacent to Hartley’s jam factory in order to improve its market share in Liverpool. Manufacture began on the site from 1914.
In 1922 the foundation of the Irish Free State saw the English subsidiary established as an independent company.
By 1932 Jacob’s Aintree factory covered 30 spacious acres, with lawns and flower beds. The firm employed over 3,000 people. Over 300 different varieties of biscuit were manufactured.
In 1932 the Yorkshire market was entered in earnest, with the construction of a large depot in Leeds.
By 1949 approximately 1,500 employees were engaged in manufacturing; 75 percent of them were women.
In 1959 a new depot was opened at Plympton to cope with increasing sales in the Devon and Cornwall region. It could handle six million lbs of biscuits each year.
In 1960 family members retained 70 percent of the voting shares when a takeover by Associated Biscuits was agreed to.
Throughout the 1980s the Jacob’s sweet biscuit product lines, other than the Club, were phased out in favour of the Huntley & Palmer brand.
Mini Cheddars were introduced in 1984.
The Huntley & Palmer name was discontinued in 1990, and all products were relabelled under the Jacob’s brand.
In 2014 the Aintree factory produced over 55,000 tonnes of products. 900 people were employed at the factory.
In 2015 it was announced that the Aintree site would receive an investment of £10 million. The site is the centre of United Biscuits savoury snack production, and brands manufactured include Twiglets, Mini Cheddars and Club, as well as Jacob’s.
Jacob’s holds 25 percent of the British savoury biscuit market as of 2015.
Meredith & Drew was the largest biscuit manufacturer in Britain by 1946.
William Meredith founded a bakery at Shadwell, London in 1830, with William George Drew (1813 – 1867) as his principal assistant.
After a quarrel, Drew established his own business nearby in 1852. Drew was a biscuit baker employing 30 men by 1861.
William G Drew died of a heart attack in 1867, and his obituary hailed him as “a man of remarkable energy and enterprise”, remembered for his charitable interests. He was succeeded in his business by his wife Barbara, and his son, Lear James Drew (1840 – 1917).
Drew & Sons was using steam-powered machinery to produce over 100 different varieties of biscuit by 1877.
Frederick Meredith and Lear James Drew (1840 – 1917) merged their interests as Meredith & Drew in 1891, with a capital of £107,000.
Meredith & Drew received its first Royal Warrant, from Queen Victoria, in 1894.
The company factory at Shadwell, London was extended in 1896. Production concentrated on the manufacture of biscuits for the public house trade.
Meredith & Drew merged with Wright & Son of Shadwell in 1905 in an exchange of shares. Day-to-day management of the firm was taken over by the shrewd and dynamic Thomas Reuben Wright.
A factory was acquired in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire in 1927.
The London factory was destroyed during the Blitz in 1940, and production was permanently relocated to factories at Oldham, Brighouse and High Wycombe. Headquarters had been relocated to Ashby-de-la-Zouch by 1943.
Meredith & Drew advertised itself as “Britain’s biggest biscuit bakers” in 1946. Meredith & Drew had an authorised share capital of £1 million, and 2,500 employees by 1951.
A new biscuit factory at Cinderford, Gloucestershire began production from 1951, with 300 staff, including 150 women. Meredith & Drew divested its Brighouse factory in 1954. Throughout the 1950s the company reduced seven factories to three, with production centralised at Halifax, Cinderford and Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
Meredith & Drew had around five percent of the British crisps market by 1963, with own-label production for Marks & Spencer and a strong presence in the licensed trade.
A new crisp factory was acquired in Lanarkshire in 1963, as the snack product contributed an increasing share of turnover, and the Ashby-de-la-Zouch facility was struggling to meet demand. The Lanarkshire site employed 280 people.
In 1967 the company was strong in own-label production, savoury biscuits, the catering trade and potato crisps. Meredith & Drew, with four percent of the British biscuit market, was acquired by United Biscuits in 1967.
The Meredith & Drew biscuit factory in Halifax employed hundreds of workers in 1968.
United Biscuits produces McVitie’s Digestives, Jaffa Cakes, Jacob’s cream crackers and Carr’s water biscuits.
James Lang established a bakery business at Gallowgate, Glasgow in 1817.
The firm became Macfarlane Lang in 1841 when Lang’s nephew, John Macfarlane, joined the business. An energetic and progressive manager, Macfarlane eventually assumed control of the business.
John’s son, James Macfarlane (1857 – 1944), joined Macfarlane Lang & Co in 1878. He was joined by his two brothers, George William and John Lang Macfarlane.
A large new factory, the Victoria Works, was established in Glasgow in 1880.
Originally bread bakers, the firm began to manufacture biscuits from 1885.
The firm became a limited liability company from 1904, but essentially remained a family business. James Macfarlane became chairman in 1908.
John Lang Macfarlane died in 1912 with a personal estate valued at £284,563.
Macfarlane Lang was one of the largest manufacturers of biscuits in Britain by 1914. A factory in Glasgow covered four acres, and a West London factory covered five acres, employing a total of 2,500 workers. Success was based upon high quality which stemmed from experienced management, skilled labour and strong investment in machinery.
George William Macfarlane, deputy chairman of Macfarlane Lang, died in 1938 with a personal estate valued at £415,479.
Sir James Macfarlane died in 1944, and left a personal estate of £172,180.
McVitie & Price
Robert McVitie (1809 – 1883) was advertising himself as a baker and confectioner in Edinburgh by 1856. He was a master baker employing six men, four boys and three women by 1871.
The firm was inherited by his son, Robert McVitie (1845 – 1910) in 1883. Charles Edward Price (died 1934), a former salesman for Cadbury, joined him in partnership in 1888 to form McVitie & Price.
McVitie & Price began to produce their version of the digestive biscuit from 1892.
The firm ranked among the second tier of British biscuit manufacturers by 1899, behind Huntley & Palmer and Peek Frean, but alongside Carr & Co.
McVitie & Price established a factory at Harlesden, London in 1901. Price retired in 1901, and Alexander Grant (1864 – 1937) was appointed general manager.
Robert McVitie died in 1910 with personal estate valued at £227,454. He died childless, and Alexander Grant became chairman and managing director of McVitie & Price.
McVitie & Price introduced the Jaffa Cake in 1927.
By 1936 McVitie & Price was one of the largest biscuit manufacturing firms in the world, with nearly 2,000 people employed at Harlesden, and more employed at factories in Edinburgh and Manchester.
The number of product lines at McVitie & Price had been reduced from 370 to ten by 1945.
Robert McVitie Grant (1894 – 1947), chairman of McVitie & Price, died in 1947 with a personal estate valued at £1,033,234.
That same year, Hector Laing (1923 -2010) joined the firm.
McVitie & Price and Macfarlane Lang merged in 1948 to form United Biscuits, with a capital of £3.5 million. The businesses continued to trade under their respective names.
Weston’s became the largest biscuit manufacturer in the British Empire and introduced the Wagon Wheel and Jammie Dodgers.
George Weston was a London-born Methodist who emigrated to Canada. He established a bakery business in Toronto, where he was assisted by his son, Willard Garfield Weston (born 1898).
During the First World War, W G Weston joined the Canadian Army and served in France. Fascinated by business, during his periods of leave he toured English biscuit factories.
After the war, W G Weston persuaded his father to import machinery to manufacture English-style biscuits. Following this $1 million investment, the business began to flourish. W G Weston assumed full control in 1924, following the death of his father.
Weston commissioned a report on the British biscuit industry in 1929, with an eye to making his first acquisition overseas. The report determined that, with 120 manufacturers, the British market was saturated, and ought to be avoided. Weston disagreed, and saw an industry that was ripe for consolidation.
With the financial backing of a Wall Street trader, Weston acquired Mitchell & Muil, a small Aberdeen biscuit manufacturer, in 1929. He immediately closed the loss-making company’s antiquated factory, and relocated production to a new site at Edinburgh. Weston then used Canadian production and sales techniques to undercut his competitors.
Weston soon acquired other loss-making British biscuit manufacturers. In 1938 Weston Foods Ltd was formed to acquire the four Weston biscuit companies as well as a number of bakery and confectionery firms. By this time Weston was one of the wealthiest men in the British foods industry.
Weston Foods was acquired by Allied Bakeries, also controlled by the Weston family, in 1939.
Weston donated £100,000 to the British government to acquire RAF aircraft during the Battle of Britain in 1940.
Weston Biscuits claimed to be the largest biscuit manufacturer in the British Empire in 1943.
Garry Weston (1927 – 2002), the son of W G Weston, invented the Wagon Wheel biscuit in 1948.
In 1948 the company gained control of Burton’s Gold Medal Biscuits, and in 1953 of the Caledonian Oat Cake Baking Company.
In 1954 the company acquired all of the public shares of Meredith & Drew, although the founding families retained overall control.
In the 1960s the Jammie Dodger, a shortbread biscuit with a jam filling, was introduced.
Garry Weston assumed control of the business in 1967.
Weston Biscuits had assumed the name of Burton’s Biscuits by 1981. It was the third largest biscuit manufacturer in Britain with a 12 percent market share. Burton’s had a workforce of 3,530 by 1982.
The Slough factory was closed in 1982 with the loss of 440 jobs. It was too small to be suitable for modernisation.
By 1994 Wagon Wheels were among the most popular biscuits imported into Russia.
Associated British Foods (controlled by the Weston family) sold their British biscuit operations (now called Burton’s Foods) to Hicks Muse Tate & Furst in 2000 for £130 million. The company had sales of £171 million and 2,500 employees. Hicks Muse already owned Cadbury biscuit brands and Maryland Cookies, and the merged entity controlled 20 percent of the British biscuit market.
In 2003 the Burton’s Foods board of directors was ousted by its new owners.
In 2013 Burton’s Biscuits, with over 2,200 employees, was sold to the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan for £350 million. There were manufacturing plants at Llantarnam, Wales, Edinburgh and Blackpool, and a chocolate refinery in Moreton, Merseyside.
Burton’s Biscuits sold the rights to Cadbury biscuits to Mondelez for nearly £200 million in 2016.
Peek Frean pioneered the modern British biscuit, and invented the Bourbon, Custard Cream and Garibaldi varieties.
James Peek (1800 – 1879) was a wealthy tea merchant from Devon. He was from a nonconformist religious background. Peek established a biscuit factory at Mill Street, Dockhead in Bermondsey in 1857.
George Hender Frean (1824 – 1903), a relation by marriage, was invited to become managing partner. Frean was a Baptist from Plymouth who traded as a miller. Initially there were eight employees.
The firm acquired a licence from Dr John Dauglish, the inventor of bread aerated without yeast, to manufacture his product from 1858. Aerated bread could be produced more quickly than regular bread, and was considered to be more hygienic. The aerated bread and biscuit factory employed nearly 200 men by 1859.
Peek Frean introduced the Garibaldi biscuit in 1861. However the biscuit which made the firm’s reputation was the Pearl, introduced in 1865. Small, round and sweet, it was softer than any previously mass produced British biscuit. It dispensed with the “docker holes” used to prevent biscuits rising in the oven, and was the pioneer of the modern biscuit.
James Peek sold/gave his stake to his son-in-law, Thomas Stone (1827 – 1893), a silk manufacturer, in 1866.
A new factory was opened on Drummond Road, Bermondsey in 1867.
The French government placed an order for 460 tons of biscuits in 1871.
The Marie biscuit was introduced in 1875.
Arthur Carr (1855 – 1947) joined Peek Frean as an apprentice in 1872. A Quaker, Carr was a member of the biscuit-making family of Carlisle.
A fire destroyed the Dockhead premises in 1876.
Arthur Carr was made partner from 1877.
Peek Frean became the first business in London to be supplied with electricity from 1880.
After much quarrelling with Stone, Frean entered retirement in 1887. Stone was joined in partnership by his two sons, Huntington (1857 – 1916) and Ralph Erskine Stone (1861 – 1897).
Peek Frean workers joined the London Dock strike in 1889.
Around 1890, depots were established across Britain.
Thomas Stone died in 1893 with a personal estate valued at £340,000. R S Stone died in 1897 with an estate valued at £228,944.
The firm introduced the first chocolate coated biscuit in 1899; the Chocolate Table biscuit was a precursor of the Chocolate Finger.
By 1899 the partners were John Carr (died 1924), Ellis Carr (died 1930), Arthur Carr and Huntington Stone. Profits for the year were £47,619.
The firm had a Royal Warrant to supply biscuits to the Prince of Wales by 1900.
The firm became a limited company, Peek Frean & Co Ltd, in 1901 with a share capital of £500,000. The firm sold through 45,000 outlets.
The shortbread-based Pat-A-Cake biscuit was launched in 1902. The first biscuit marketed at an affordable price, it was to prove a major success for the company. First week sales totalled over twelve tons. As many as 75 tons (about 10 million biscuits) were being produced on a daily basis by 1910.
Arthur Carr became chairman and managing director of Peek Frean from 1904. Carr massively increased the company’s advertising budget.
The company employed 1,200 to 1,300 men, 900 to 1,000 girls, and 250 office staff by 1907.
Production of the Pearl biscuit ended in 1907. The Bourbon, a cocoa-flavoured cream sandwich biscuit, was introduced in 1910.
Peek Frean was an enlightened employer for the period. Staff received in-house medical and dentistry care (to which the company paid £3,000 a year in 1911), and a staff canteen which the company subsidised to the level of hundreds of pounds a year. By 1911 a third of company profits were spent on employee welfare, and wages were among the highest in London.
A Bermondsey carman’s strike closed down the Peek Frean factory in 1911. 2,500 employees were temporarily thrown out of work.
A Bermondsey women’s strike in August 1911 saw 1,200 employees refuse to work. The strikers wanted higher pay and the abolition of short shifts. However Peek Frean management countered that strikers had intimidated non-striking staff and that their wages were higher than the Bermondsey average.
Peek Frean produced nearly 100 million shortbread biscuits in just three months in 1912. This was understood to constitute a record for the sale of biscuits.
Peek Frean opened the Meltis chocolate factory in Bedford in 1913. 130 people were employed there.
Peek Frean introduced the Custard Cream biscuit in 1913.
Between 1900 and 1913, sales doubled and profits almost quadrupled.
Huntington Stone died in 1916 and left a gross estate valued at £239,580. He bequeathed around £200,000 to Christian missionary charities.
Peek Frean was advertising Pat-A-Cake as the most popular biscuit ever produced by 1920.
High income tax and death duties convinced Huntley & Palmer of Reading to accept Peek Frean’s invitation to merge in 1921. A holding company, Associated Biscuit Manufacturers, with a capital of £2.5 million, was formed.
John Carr died in 1924 and left an estate valued at £152,859.
Peek Frean acquired Britannia Biscuits of India, with a factory in Mumbai, in 1924.
Peek Frean had introduced Vita-Wheat, the first British wheat crispbread, by 1927. Twiglets, the savoury snack, were introduced in 1930.
Ellis Carr left a personal estate of over £1 million in 1930.
Peek Frean acquired the English subsidiary of Suchards of Switzerland, based at Bedford, in 1932.
Peek Frean had established an Australian subsidiary by 1934.
By 1939 the Peek Frean site covered 12 acres. Over 300 different varieties of biscuit were produced. The company manufactured its own biscuit tins; some three million a year.
Arthur Carr died in 1947 with an estate valued at £630,206.
Peek Frean established a factory in Ontario, Canada in 1948. The site covered seven acres.
Peek Frean acquired the Ashley Vale Biscuit Company Ltd, with a factory at Avonmouth, Bristol in 1955.
There were 1,750 employees at Bermondsey in 1964.
Peek Frean closed the factory in Bristol in 1965 and relocated production to Bermondsey. 350 to 400 employees were made redundant.
The Meltis confectionery site at Bedford employed 1,300 people by 1966. The factory had extended to cover five acres, and Meltis was the largest producer of Turkish Delight in Britain, and the second largest producer of liqueur chocolates.
Meltis merged with Chocolat Tobler to form Tobler Meltis in 1967. Interfood, the owner of Suchard, acquired Tobler Meltis in 1975.
The loss-making Peek Frean (Australia) was sold to Arnotts, Australia’s leading biscuit manufacturer, in 1975.
Nabisco of America acquired Associated Biscuits in 1982 for £84 million.
Peek Frean was the largest manufacturer of Christmas puddings in Britain by 1984. This was because they were relatively low-priced, as they did not contain alcohol.
By the mid 1980s the Peek Frean brand had become primarily associated with commodity and children’s biscuits.
The Bermondsey factory was closed in 1989, with the loss of over 1,000 jobs. The factory had high overheads due to its inner-city location and age, and was operating at just 50 percent capacity. Meanwhile, the biscuit market had been in decline.
The India and Pakistan subsidiaries were sold off in 1989 for $44 million. Britannia was the largest biscuit manufacturer in India, and English Biscuit Manufacturers was the largest biscuit manufacturer in Parkistan.
All advertising support for Peek Frean branded products was ended in 1990.
Although no longer in use in Britain, Peek Frean branded products continue to be manufactured in Canada and Pakistan.
The Peek Frean Family Circle biscuit assortment is still sold. It was initially rebranded as Crawford’s, and then as McVitie’s.