The John Hodge Tobacco Company was the largest exporter of dark leaf tobacco from the United States.
John Henderson Hodge (1852 – 1935) was born in Glasgow in 1852 to James Hodge and Catherine (nee Henderson). His father was a partner in J&T Hodge, which operated a tobacco factory employing four men and 18 boys in 1861.
John H Hodge emigrated to the United States in 1876 and established the John Hodge Tobacco Company at Madisonville, Kentucky. He was joined by his brother, Thomas Hodge (born 1859) in 1880.
Hodge married a Kentuckian, Kitty G Hodge (born 1856). His sons included James (born 1881), William R (born 1886) and John H (born 1889).
The Hodge tobacco factory at Henderson, Kentucky was struck by fire in 1895.
In 1902 James Hodge retired from J & T Hodge, tobacco and cigarette manufacturers of St Ninian Street, Glasgow, leaving William Hodge as the sole partner. James R Hodge was a witness to the transaction.
In 1913 the John Hodge Tobacco Co acquired three million pounds of tobacco for about $175,000 in a single transaction.
In 1926 the Hodge Tobacco Co, wholesaler and exporter of Henderson and Hopkins counties, Kentucky, employed 554 people.
John Henderson Hodge died in 1935.
The business was operated by Thomas Hodge (1925 – 2011), the son of William Hodge, until its dissolution in 1972.