Pocock Brothers was the largest boot manufacturer in the world.
The firm was founded as a boot manufacturer by John Joseph Pocock in 1815.
In 1832 a boot retailing partnership between Joseph Poole and Thomas Pocock at Tooley Street was dissolved.
In 1851 Thomas Gotch Pocock (1815 – 1883) was a shoe salesman.
By 1855 Pocock Brothers had a boot factory at 20-23 Southwark Bridge Road, London.
In 1871 T G Pocock was a shoe retailer employing 120 men and 50 boys. In 1881 T G Pocock described himself as a boot manufacturer employing 335 men.
In 1888 Pocock Brothers advertised themselves as the largest boot manufacturers in the world.
In 1889 E Pocock left the partnership to leave T Pocock, George Pocock (born 1853) and Percy Rogers Pocock (born 1857).
By 1891 the firm employed well over 1,000 men and women and along with Rabbits & Co, was the largest shoe manufacturer in London. That year it locked-out its workers in response to union activity.
In the 1890s the firm had contracts to supply boots to the Army and the Metropolitan Police.
In 1902 the firm pleaded guilty to hiring four boys beyond the statutory hours.
By 1909 the business was solely managed by the two brothers, George and Percy Rogers Pocock.
In 1910 the retail operations were sold to Freeman Hardy & Willis, but continued their boot manufacturing operations.
In 1927 the firm was registered as a limited company, Pocock Brothers Ltd.
In the 1930s the firm made padded cells for psychiatric wards.
The firm was still trading as late as 1962.